Re: [opensuse-factory] Yast (and some console programs) not correctly displaying
  • From: Rainer Hantsch <office@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2019 09:53:26 +0100
Am Freitag, 18. Jan 2019, 08:43:13 schrieb Joachim Wagner:
[yast] This should be fixed

So should your local encoding.
But we already know *that's* not going to happen..

I've seen yast with the block-drawing characters replaced by two other
characters (with at least one non-ASCII character) on occasions and did not
change the encoding. This wasn't even remote but on the console. It always
was when I had no time to investigate and/or file a bug report.

If I remember right, navigation didn't work, or at least it was not possible
to see what menu entry is highlighted. My workaround was to only switch the
system target from "graphical interface" to "multi-user system" after
running online updates. I don't remember whether this was in 42.2, 42.3 or
15.0.

Joachim

Joachim,
you are talking of 42.x,? The problem exists since UTF8 came out. Don't know
if it was SuSE 7/8/9/10, but this is at least 6-7 years ago, if not more.

At that time I started pointing out this problems, The solution coming from
SuSE (or was it meanwhile Novell?) was simple: The entire issue was simply
*ignored*. Sad to say, but this is not the first and only case that this "way
of solution" happened.

So I primarily give it a new try in Leap 15 times (meanwhile enough time is
gone, I assume) and I am very interested to watch what happens now, many years
later. :)