Re: [opensuse-factory] New xfce look coming to Tumbleweed
Moin,

On Thu, 13 Dec 2018, 01:36:12 +0100, Maurizio Galli (MauG) wrote:
Hello!

I'd like to share with you all that xfce will have a new default look soon
in Tumbleweed, for new installations. Here below is a recap of the changes:

* GTK theme: Mint-Y-Darker-Teal (modern look that uses teal as highlight,
matching openSUSE color schemes)
* xfwm4 theme: Mint-Y-Dark-Teal
* icon theme:  elementary-xfce (inspired by Tango and Elementary)
* Font: Noto Sans  has a wide support for different languages, including
Asian languages and emojis making it a good default.
* Font: Hack is cool and one of the most complete monospace fonts around
* Font: Hint Slight is usually considered a better default for hinting
* Font: Added "rgb" value, recommended setting for LCD screens (if font
looks like a "rainbow" you need to enable lcd filter in Yast > Font module)

Please note that these changes will only affect new installations of TW with
xfce and only if xfce4-branding-openSUSE sub-packages are installed.
Existing users should not be affected by this.

Unfortunately, they are! Apologies when I'm talking about X11:xfce here,
but I believe it to be the development base for XFCE... so, if anyone
knows a better/more appropriate place to discuss this than here, please
advise.

When I installed the various *branding* packages yesterday, after the
next login my base panel was almost completely destroyed. The "Workspace
Switcher" was gone, the same happened to the "Notification Area".
Instead I got a new xfce4-statusnotifier-plugin and battery status which
I definitely did not have before (and never needed them). What's worse
is that the order of the elements in the panel got screwed up, too. I
had to manually fix all user accounts of all long time XFCE users here.
This doesn't actually sound to me like your change wouldn't have an
effect on "existing users".

How/where should issues like this be dealt with? ML, boo, ???

Preview here: https://imgur.com/a/le5Dred

--
Maurizio Galli (MauG)

Cheers.