Re: [opensuse-factory] openSUSE Leap 15.1 in the works
On Thu, 22 Nov 2018 10:25:27 +0100
Takashi Iwai <tiwai@xxxxxxx> wrote:

On Wed, 21 Nov 2018 07:47:43 +0100,
Michal Kubecek wrote:

(Cc-ing involved people)

On Tuesday, 20 November 2018 17:34 BrĂ¼ns, Stefan wrote:
Leap 15.0 got some blaming in a well known and regarded german
computer magazine due to the "outdated" kernel/graphics stack [1].

As far as I can see in [2], there were some updates, but it lacks
support for VegaM (Intel CPU + AMD iGPU, already available), Vega12
(Marketing name: Radeon Pro Vega 16/20, e.g newest Macbook Pro) and
Vega 20 (Radeon Instinct MI50/60) and the Raven APUs (Ryzen 3/5
2xxxG).

Even Vega56/64 is still guarded by the module parameter
amdgpu.exp_hw_support=1.

Are there plans to also get these included until the release?

For the record: we don't have an openSUSE-15.1 branch yet so what is in
15.1 snapshots at the moment is most likely a copy of 15.0 kernel.

There is going to be a DRM backport for SLE15-SP1 but AFAIK it's not in
the branch yet. But I don't know which hardware is going to be
supported, maybe Thomas or Petr could provide more details.

The plan is to upgrade the whole DRM stack to 4.19+ kernel level, so
essentially all new graphics devices as of 4.19 will be supported.

I have now created a kernel branch for Leap 15.1 and made my first
kernel submission (SR#656220).

However, we have not sorted out the DRM update yet. The policy requires
us to split it into individual patches, but as you might know, upstream
DRM development happens in a somewhat non-linear way, so this is a
challenge...

In short, the DRM part is still in the works. We definitely aim to have
everything in place until end of the year. I hope you get an updated
graphics stack for Christmas present. ;-)

Petr T

vboxvideo might be out of scope, though, as it's in staging. We can
take a look and backport if requested, too.

The user-space stack will be updated to the decent versions as well.

thanks,

Takashi