Re: [opensuse-factory] Kernel 4.19 causing ext4 corruption
On 12/4/18 6:22 PM, Basil Chupin wrote:
On 5/12/18 6:58 am, Liam Proven wrote:
I realise that openSUSE doesn't use ext4 by default, but it's still a
significant issue... E.g. both my desktop and laptop have ext4 partitions.

A friend of mine contacted me to say:

«
Hi Liam, please note that there is a potential regression (root ext4 fs
goes read-only) in the newest
openSUSE-Tumbleweed-GNOME-Live-x86_64-Snapshot20181112-Media - as it
already contains Linux kernel 4.19.1.

How do I know? I was using Linux kernel 4.19.2 (on Ubuntu 18.04) on 2
laptops - and the root ex4 filesystem on both of them suddenly switched
to read-only mode multiple times (never happened before upgrading to
4.19.x). Now I have rolled back to Linux 4.18.19 and will see if fs
read-only switching continues..
»

He found a related discussion:

<https://askubuntu.com/questions/1092558/ubuntu-18-04-4-19-1-kernel-after-closing-the-lid-for-the-night-not-logging-ou>

He added:

«
If you download the newest image from
https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Tumbleweed_installation (2018-11-16),
it should contain kernel 4.19.1.
openSUSE-Tumbleweed-GNOME-Live-x86_64-Snapshot20181118-Media.iso
contains kernel 4.19.2.

So... it's official now. 😀
https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=EXT4-Linux-4.19-Corruption

(And I can personally confirm that the issue is still present in the
newest stable kernel 4.19.5.)

Hi Liam, so... it's official now. 😀
https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=EXT4-Linux-4.19-Corruption

(And I can personally confirm that the issue is still present in the
newest stable kernel 4.19.5.)
»

He's also raised it here:
https://lkml.org/lkml/2018/12/1/576

Hi Liam,

I just upgraded my Leap 15 to kernel 4.19.6. Do you know if the above
problem still exists with 4.19.6, or how can I test for this problem?

Both my / and /home partitions are ext4, and I generally run kernels generated from kernel HEAD. I have never had this happen to me, which lends credence to the supposition that the problem is coming from outside the ext4 code, and may in fact be introduced be some backported code in another subsystem.

Larry