Re: [opensuse-factory] Kernel 4.19 causing ext4 corruption
On 5/12/18 6:58 am, Liam Proven wrote:
I realise that openSUSE doesn't use ext4 by default, but it's still a
significant issue... E.g. both my desktop and laptop have ext4 partitions.

A friend of mine contacted me to say:

«
Hi Liam, please note that there is a potential regression (root ext4 fs
goes read-only) in the newest
openSUSE-Tumbleweed-GNOME-Live-x86_64-Snapshot20181112-Media - as it
already contains Linux kernel 4.19.1.

How do I know? I was using Linux kernel 4.19.2 (on Ubuntu 18.04) on 2
laptops - and the root ex4 filesystem on both of them suddenly switched
to read-only mode multiple times (never happened before upgrading to
4.19.x). Now I have rolled back to Linux 4.18.19 and will see if fs
read-only switching continues..
»

He found a related discussion:

<https://askubuntu.com/questions/1092558/ubuntu-18-04-4-19-1-kernel-after-closing-the-lid-for-the-night-not-logging-ou>

He added:

«
If you download the newest image from
https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Tumbleweed_installation (2018-11-16),
it should contain kernel 4.19.1.
openSUSE-Tumbleweed-GNOME-Live-x86_64-Snapshot20181118-Media.iso
contains kernel 4.19.2.

So... it's official now. 😀
https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=EXT4-Linux-4.19-Corruption

(And I can personally confirm that the issue is still present in the
newest stable kernel 4.19.5.)

Hi Liam, so... it's official now. 😀
https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=EXT4-Linux-4.19-Corruption

(And I can personally confirm that the issue is still present in the
newest stable kernel 4.19.5.)
»

He's also raised it here:
https://lkml.org/lkml/2018/12/1/576

Hi Liam,

I just upgraded my Leap 15 to kernel 4.19.6. Do you know if the above
problem still exists with 4.19.6, or how can I test for this problem?

BC

--

God created war so that Americans can learn geography.
Mark Twain