[opensuse-factory] Re: package x86info should be removed from current releases: outdated/unmaintained
On 10/12/2018 3:43 AM, Carlos E. R. wrote:
On 12/10/2018 02.29, L.A. Walsh wrote:
It also states the URL for the RPM as:
URL http://www.codemonkey.org.uk/projects/x86info/

As I've already stated, I went to the website to either get a newer version
to test, or report the bug. There was no project at that website.

I would suggest then that you create a bugzilla reporting the incorrect
URL and asking what is now the correct upstream for the project, as the
stated upstream seems dead.
----
That's what prompted me to post here and suggest that the package
be removed if it was no longer maintained. Someone here seems to
think that the source is now on github, however, didn't see anything
at the old URL connecting it to the new one or vice versa. So I don't know if they are by the same people or what.

FWIW, I did post the tool's output as an incident on github and asked how it came to be that the tool would have such wrong information
about an 8yro processor when the information was readily available in
proc or via lscpu. So far it has gone unanswered.

TBH, I don't really care about the tool. The correct information
is readily available out of /proc, and I don't have to wonder whether or
not it got it right. It seemed like an ideal candidate for pruning.

I've asked people on here, what they thought and got pushback
by some people -- I don't care one way or other beyond this point.
It seems more appropriate for the SuSE maintainer or those fighting
for its continued inclusion to verify the owner's source continuity
and make sure there are corrections.

Thanks for the ideas!
Linda