[opensuse-factory] Re: package x86info should be removed from current releases: outdated/unmaintained
On 10/11/2018 3:10 AM, Martin Pluskal wrote:
On Wed, 2018-10-10 at 19:57 -0700, L A Walsh wrote:
Looks unmaintained. Not sure, as current release seems undated
on website, but prev release (29) was from 2011.
Why would you think its unmaintained? openSUSE package is ~1 year old
git snapshot [1] and upstream is definitely active [2]. We dont drop
software just because it has bugs - I would suggest you report your
issues on github bugtracker of project.

Cheers

Martin

1. https://build.opensuse.org/package/show/Base:System/x86info
2. https://github.com/kernelslacker/x86info/commits/master

P.S openSUSE package is apparently incorectly stated to be version 1.30
when it should be 1.30+gitXYZ
-----
It also states the URL for the RPM as:
URL http://www.codemonkey.org.uk/projects/x86info/

As I've already stated, I went to the website to either get a newer version
to test, or report the bug. There was no project at that website.

If there were not differences between a hyperthread CPU and a real one, why
would the kernel have different schedulers for hyperthread-enabled cpu's vs. non-hyperthread enabled.

Just to be clear, this is a system with 2 hexa-core processors with
hyperthreading
disabled and with Non-Uniform Memory. (a "NUMA" machine).
At the verify least the cpus are not identical in that they do not have identical access to the entire range of memory. Hyperthreads are turned off the BIOS. With them enabled, non-hyperthread aware programs would think they
had 24 processors -- each with half the memory of the current 12.