[opensuse-factory] Re: package x86info should be removed from current releases: outdated/unmaintained
On 10/10/2018 11:44 PM, Simon Lees wrote:

On 11/10/2018 13:27, L A Walsh wrote:
Looks unmaintained. Not sure, as current release seems undated
on website, but prev release (29) was from 2011.

Main detail: shows my 7 yr old server cpu as:

x86info
x86info vVERSION
Found 12 identical CPUs
Total processor threads: 12
This system has 2 tri-core processors with hyper-threading (2
threads per core) running at an estimated 2.80GHz

If you look below 6 cores per socket with hyperthreading would equate to
3 physical cores per socket so both tools give the same info.
---
Except that a hyperthread is not a CPU. The above claims 2 threads
per core, but if you look out output of lscpu, it says their is 1 thread
per core.
CPU(s): 12
Thread(s) per core: 1
Core(s) per socket: 6
Socket(s): 2
NUMA node(s): 2

NUMA node0 CPU(s): 0,2,4,6,8,10
NUMA node1 CPU(s): 1,3,5,7,9,11

on my i7 both tools still output meaningful info,
If you only had x86info, how would you know if its output was correct?

i'm betting some
people have scripts around that parse parts of its info so while its
still getting the core info right...
---

The only reason I checked out the source website, was because
it got a 7-year old processor way wrong. I wouldn't have bothered
to check out the website to look for a way to report the bug if had
not been so wrong. Hasn't /proc/cpuinfo been in linux for over a decade
or two? Yet this program ignores it the correct info in it.

Also the website looks like it lapsed and was purchased and turned into an advertising page. When you click on the link in the x86info page for the authors home page, you get taken to an
advertising page. There is no contact information for the original author.

Since the author's info (his home page/contact info) is gone, I don't think the website is in his possession any more. Not
a shining example of a reliable source at this point.

I don't think that makes for a good inclusion unless you can
find a bunch of people who need it's output -- but it is poorly
formatted for use by other tools (unlike lscpu, which, pretty much, mirrors output in /proc/cpuinfo.