Re: [opensuse-factory] Proposal to remove pyc/pyo from Python on TW
  • From: Alberto Planas Dominguez <aplanas@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 05 Oct 2018 11:04:23 +0200
On 2018-10-05T10:41:22, Alberto Planas Dominguez <aplanas@xxxxxxx> wrote:
I would definitively not do that, as the traceback will lack context.
Imagine supporting a system that fails without pointing the source code
that generate the error. In my experience having the pys makes the
debugging experience a lot better.

That's what debug{info,source} are for. We obviously need a way to
translate the traceback from a system where those weren't installed at
the time of the trace, but that's not different from any other support
incident.

Uhmm sure it is. Another user commented that a pyc only distribution will
require the change of the pyc name schema and location. So for each python
package we have the three subpackages, two of the duplicating the pyc
information, and only to have the the traceback info. And this is only if we
make the two pyc packages co-installables, as in other case the user needs to
replace one package for another.

In every debugging session you will find that updating the py, sometimes will
not be reflected on the expected output, until you realized that you are still
executing the old pyc, and you need to manually remove it. But now you have
two pyc candidates to remove.

This scenario scares me a lot : ))

--
SUSE Linux GmbH, GF: Felix Imendörffer, Jane Smithard, Dilip Upmanyu, Graham
Norton, HRB 21284 (AG Nürnberg)