Re: [opensuse-factory] Re: [opensuse-packaging] Proposal to remove pyc/pyo from Python on TW
  • From: Alberto Planas Dominguez <aplanas@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 05 Oct 2018 10:56:56 +0200
On Friday, October 5, 2018 10:44:45 AM CEST Stephan Kulow wrote:
Am 05.10.18 um 10:41 schrieb Alberto Planas Dominguez:
On Thursday, October 4, 2018 6:39:41 PM CEST Jan Engelhardt wrote:
On Thursday 2018-10-04 16:52, Alberto Planas Dominguez wrote:
I also estimated some gains for different scenarios. For example in a
normal TW installation:

* Python 2.7 + 3.6

- pyc/pyc: 127M total
- py: 109M total

* Python 3.6 only

- pyc/pyc: 91M total
- py: 70M total

Or one could remove py and keep pyc/pyo.
That's basically how GNU C C++ & Fortran, Erlang, ocaml, .. all work ;-)

I would definitively not do that, as the traceback will lack context.
Imagine supporting a system that fails without pointing the source code
that generate the error. In my experience having the pys makes the
debugging experience a lot better.

The same is true for C and C++ :)

But you optimize for size (and speed) not for debugging experience

Not for a dynamic language. IMO the debugging factor makes this comparison
unbalance. In Python the main debugging tool is the traceback, is what the
user report, and is the information where the diagnosis is based on.

--
SUSE Linux GmbH, GF: Felix Imendörffer, Jane Smithard, Dilip Upmanyu, Graham
Norton, HRB 21284 (AG Nürnberg)