[opensuse-factory] Announcing Tumbleweed Snapshots Official Hosting
  • From: Jimmy Berry <jberry@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2018 18:40:18 -0500
See release-tools.opensuse.org post [1] for an HTML version.

Tumbleweed Snapshots, fixed repositories containing previously released
versions of Tumbleweed, are now officially hosted on download.opensuse.org
[2]! For those not familiar with the Tumbleweed Snapshots concept please see
the short introduction video [3] and the presentation I gave at oSC18 [4]. The
overall concept is to allow Tumbleweed to be consumed as short-lived
distributions that can be utilized after a new snapshot is published. The two
primary benefits are not having to update just to install new packages and
being able to sit on an older snapshot when avoiding problematic package
updates. The latter working best with snapper rollbacks as it allows for
normal system operation after rolling back.

Given the proper method for updating between snapshots is `zypper dup` instead
of `zypper up` which is normally reserved for updating between major releases
of the distribution, like Leap, keeping the previous repositories and
switching between them with the use of `dup` is quite natural. Given the
latest snapshot is accessible and `zypper` operates normally there are no
down-sides to this approach while providing some important advantages. If you
have not already tried them I would encourage you to do so. Many users are
already updating Tumbleweed once a week and thus perfectly align with the
design of snapshots.

The installation step and basic usage is documented in the `tumbleweed-cli`
README [5]. No additional resources are utilized on the local machine. If for
whatever reason you want to go back just run `tumbleweed uninit` to restore
the default repository setup.

If you are already using Tumbleweed Snapshots and would like to switch to the
official hosting a migration command is provided in `tumbleweed-cli` `0.3.0`
which will be included in Tumbleweed shortly [6]. As a side-note, bash
completion is also provided!

Once running version `0.3.0` (run `tumbleweed --version` to see which is
installed), simply run `tumbleweed migrate`. Keep in mind the official hosting
only provides `10` snapshots while my personal hosting on S3 provides `50`.
The count will hopefully be increased in the future, but given how long it has
taken to get this far it may be some time. Additionally, my AWS hosting has a
CDN setup and will likely remain faster until mirrors decide to host the
snapshots. Based on feedback and how things progress I will decide when to
stop hosting on AWS, but it will be announced and the `tumbleweed-cli` will be
changed to auto-migrate.

For those interested, the difference in storage usage can be compared on
metrics.opensuse.org [7].

- Official hosting [8]
- Un-official hosting [9]

Making Tumbleweed Snapshots the default is likely worth considering once
everything settles and an appropriate level of adoption by mirrors is reached.

It is encouraging to see the enthusiastic discussions about Tumbleweed
Snapshots in IRC and e-mails.

Enjoy!

[1]
http://release-tools.opensuse.org/2018/09/18/Tumbleweed-Snapshots-Official.html