Re: [opensuse-factory] Proposal: Let's move to a more modern platform

On 01/08/18 03:35, Knurpht-openSUSE wrote:
Op dinsdag 31 juli 2018 19:42:14 CEST schreef Ronan Chagas:
Hi guys!

First of all, sorry if this is not the correct list to post something like
this.

openSUSE has many mailing lists and some are very active. I, as a developer,
must follow some to make sure I did not miss an important news. However,
IMHO, mailing lists through e-mails are not that good anymore. It is very
difficult to search for a message (if you did not archive everything, then
you must rely on the on-line database), if you delete a message, reply to
that thread is not very straightforward, etc.

I am wondering why do we not change to a more modern platform created with
this kind of discussion in mind? In Julia project, they setup a discourse
(http://discourse.julialang.org). It turn out that it is very good. In my
opinion, much better than mailing lists using e-mails.

What do you think about this?

Cheers,
Ronan
I tend to see discourse not as a mailing lists replacement, rather a forums
replacement, and from that perspective I only see replacement of one database
by another. At the board f2f we talked about Matrix, which can be accessed in
multiple ways.

I tend to agree, one clarification though, we were talking about matrix
as an IRC replacement / substitute rather then a mailing list
replacement, we didn't talk about replacing mailing lists with anything
(other then closing off ones we don't use)

--

Simon Lees (Simotek) http://simotek.net

SUSE Linux Adelaide Australia, UTC+10:30

List Navigation