Re: [opensuse-factory] Proposal: Let's move to a more modern platform
On 31/07/18 02:37 PM, Ronan Chagas wrote:

That begs the question: why would it be easier if you DID archive everything?

My laptop has 256 GiB of SSD. It is impractical to clone my e-mails archive
locally. So, in my laptop, if I want to search for a message and reply to it,
need to go to the online interface, search for the message, somehow send it to
me, and then reply. Notice, I still have to access web to do this.

And therein lies the difference between Thee and Mee! (as the saying goes)

Using IMAP I download NOTING (except possibly, in passing, the headers for
threading). However I still have access to everything that is still 'current'
on the server.
What 'current' may mean depends on the ML's algorithm, but generally I see at
least a month on the openSUSE lists I subscribe to, and can scroll back that
far.

Since the messages NEVER get downloaded from my server account @ my ISP until I
explicitly do so or explicitly 'archive' them to either the 'archive' folder'
there or to the 'archive' under Dovecot indexing on my home server, this is not
a problem.

As for your laptop, well 256G is marvellous coma[red to the 16G I have on my
tablet for reading email. So I NEVER EVER download onto the machine I use for
reading mail. EVER.

Of course you may have a cheapskate ISP that limits the number of messages you
can backlog, the time period or the amount of space. Like they say "YMMV"
Also like they say "Here's a nickel kid, get yourself a better computer", Or
ISP.
http://dilbert.com/strip/1995-06-24

--
The universe we observe has precisely the properties we should expect if there
is, at bottom, no design, no purpose, no evil and no good, nothing but blind