Re: [opensuse-factory] TW suddenly freezes: keyboard not responding
On Sunday, July 8, 2018 1:58:20 PM CDT, Marco Calistri wrote:
Hello,

From time to time since several months now, I noticed freezes on my TW:
suddenly system went unresponsive and I can't input anything by the
keyboard.

All the apps loaded keep working regularly but I can't input any command
by the keyboard.

Only mouse navigation through the windows is functional.

I red some reports on the Web that this is a common occurrence for Intel
i915 video cards which I'm using here on my Leonovo Z470, then I tried
to modify the file /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-intel.conf by changing former
AccellMethod parameter from *sna* to *uxa*, without any beneficial effects:

cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-intel.conf
Section "Device"
Identifier "Intel Graphics"
Driver "intel"
Option "AccelMethod" "uxa"
#Option "DRI" "3"
#Option "TearFree" "true"
EndSection

My grub default is like this:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="libahci.ignore_sss=1"
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash scsi_mod.use_blk_mq=1
intel_idle.max_cstate=1 resume=UUID=b0674d72-5b01-402b-8e0f-cf69170e6b05"

The only command that so far works to unlock the keyboard to me is to
send an HUP signal to agetty:

ps -ef|grep agetty
root 16419 1 0 13:32 tty1 00:00:00 /sbin/agetty -o -p -- \u
--noclear tty1 linux

sudo kill -HUP 16419

Does somebody faced similar issue and found a definitive solution?

Thanks!

Cheers,

I'm pretty sure I'm having the same problem. I have an Intel i7 6700T with an HD 530 GPU. I have my accelmethod set to glamor with tear free enabled also. Probably about once a week-ish, my system will not accept *any* keyboard input at all seemingly at random.

Sometimes I can press 'Ctrl + Alt', and then I'm able to use my keyboard normally again. Other times, that doesn't work and I have to hard reboot. I haven't tried killing agetty as you've shown, though.