Re: [opensuse-factory] TW 20180627: Many games stoped working
On neděle 1. července 2018 23:16:20 CEST Peter Suetterlin wrote:
Hi list,

Since the update to mentioned TW version 20180627 several games stopped
working for me. Common seems to be the message(s)

X Error of failed request: BadValue (integer parameter out of range for
operation) Major opcode of failed request: 152 (XFree86-VidModeExtension)
Minor opcode of failed request: 10 (XF86VidModeSwitchToMode)
Value in failed request: 0x193
Serial number of failed request: 46

I'm not really sure what to make of this message - anyone with more insight?
I must have to do with fullscreen modes. E.g., atari800 runs windowed, but
when I switch to fullscreen I only get a black screen + cursor and have to
switch to a VT to kill the process. Same symptoms with some other games
that directly want to start fullscreen.

Anyone seen similar problems?

I have seen this issue recently with "dosbox -fulscreen" failing to set
resolution. It is broken with xf86-video-modesetting running on intel gpu,
while xf86-video-intel works fine.

The issue is that X server is trying to set resolution with the doublescan
flag but the i915 driver refuses it. The failure bubbles all the way up to the
X client as a BadValue error. When you use xf86-video-intel, it filters those
resolutions out.

The question is why are those resolutions even offered as option. I did not
debug deeper, so I don't know at what level are they added to the list.

Michal Srb