[opensuse-factory] Tumbleweed - Review of the weeks 2018/24-26
Dear Tumbleweed users and hackers,

It’s been 3 weeks since my last review – Vacation treated me well and I
was actually managing to stay away from computers for the whole time
(not the mobile though… maybe next time). In my last review, I explain
about all the trouble we had with the snapshots, but the last one I
prepared for building, 0606, was finally published (so I at least
hander ‘something working’ over to Max. I’m sure he was happy about
that). As Tumbleweed had to be handled ‘beside the regular tasks
without a dedicated release manager’, it was understandably having a
slower release cadence.

In total, during the last 3 weeks, there were 10 snapshots published to
the users: 0606, 0613, 0615, 0618, 0620, 0622, 0623, 0625, 0626 and
0627, which, in summary, contained those updates:

* GCC 8.1.1 is used to build the entire distribution
* Qt 5.11.0 & 5.11.1
* Mesa 18.1.1 & 18.1.2
* KDE Plasma 5.13.0 & 5.13.1
* KDE Applications 18.04.2
* Linux kernel 4.17.1 and 4.17.2
* KDE Frameworks 5.47.0
* FFmpeg 4.0 (FFmpeg 3.x is still available in the main repo, but
should be phased out)
* PulseAudio 12.0
* git 2.18.0

In the last days, we changed the setup of the rings and staging
projects for openSUSE:Factory and simplified the things a bit. From now
on, we only manage Ring0 (minimal bootstrap) and ring1 (things we build
pre=integration, guaranteed to always build). Everything that used to
be ring2 before (e.g. KDE, GNOME) has been merged into ring1. For you
as a contributor that means no direct change (except less confusion
when looking for failures, as Staging:X now is all there is, no more
Staging:X:DVD to know about and find), but the tooling used could be
drastically simplified, which was worth this effort. All Stagings
needed to be reset for this though, which means some things might take
a tad longer than they normally would. The staged changes currently
are:

* linux-glibc-devel 4.17 (one more failure, opal, which I submitted a
fix to the devel project today)
* X.org 1.12.0
* acpica 20180508: breaks xen and VirtualBox
* glibc: drop support for bundle-lang-* packages (they have been
eliminated already a while ago in Tumbleweed
* fwupdate 11: support for Lenovo machines
* KDE Plasma 5.13.2
* Mozilla Firefox 61

Cheers, and happy weekend,
Dominique