Re: [opensuse-factory] Killing Group tag in .spec files

On Wednesday 2018-05-30 16:24, Matěj Cepl wrote:

Ah yeah, you remind me that I wanted to discuss with the
Haskell team if we can make the rpm Group tags better
somehow.

It's déjà vu all over again. This is exactly the discussion
I have experienced couple of years on Fedora lists. Let me
enumerate the steps:

5. It’s crazy, how can I classify everything when selecting
from 1200 groups? Why is one text stream processing tool
(sed) System/Base and other (python2-html2text) is
Development/Languages/Python? Shouldn’t they both be
Productivity/File utilities, or perhaps

It's a good point. If rpm could do multiple categories
like XDG .desktop files, packages could appear in multiple
places in the YaST tree. Imagine that..

gedit.spec:Tags: editors gnome-desktop gtk
leafpad.spec:Tags: editors xfce-desktop gtk
nano.spec:Tags: editors

6. <group of volunteers works for weeks on new list of
groups, which is a way shorter>

Or perhaps _fixed_ groups should be abandoned altogether. http://freshcode.club
works and not too bad. People make their own tags there. One just needs to
clean up obvious duplicates ("editor" vs "editors" or something) every now and
then.