Re: [opensuse-factory] Killing Group tag in .spec files
On Tue, May 29, 2018 at 7:20 AM Dominique Leuenberger / DimStar <
dimstar@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Tue, 2018-05-29 at 12:45 +0200, Tomas Chvatal wrote:
Hi all,

We have pretty strict requirements how the group tags are shown. [0]

But there are only 2 ways to use it, 1) yast view based on groups 2)
using rpm -q to get information for the individual package.
For all other purposes from zypp/packagekit this stuff is ignored.

In general it does not really make sense to install packages based on
groups. As Fedora already deprecated this tag it would make sense for
us to drop it too [1][2].

Proposed change would be to kill the Yast UI and then have spec-cleaner
to drop the part where needed. It won't break on older releases as it
would simply have Undefined as a group.

Cheers

Tom

Just curious: did you run this through the SLE fate process already?
There the group is even strictly enforced. Dropping this requirement on
the openSUSE side will cause our downstream to suffer from it, unless
they give up on the requirement too.

PackageKit groups are mapped to RPM groups in the Zypp backend, as opposed
to patterns (or RH/Fedora comps groups, as they are for the Yum backend).
This is used by Apper (a KDE frontend for PackageKit).