Re: What about PyPI itself? [Was: Re: [opensuse-factory] Plan for python2-only packages]
Mike Henry wrote:
On Tue, May 22, 2018 at 11:00 AM, Michael Ströder <michael@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
Mike Henry wrote:
I'm not sure why package maintainers would package python packages
that are not involved in packages/applications.
In some restricted production environments you want to install 3rd-party
stuff from outside openSUSE without having to allow Internet access to
PyPI or setup your own internal devpi-server.

I hadn't considered that, I guess it depends on where a company wishes
to spend their efforts, but it seems easier to host a devpi-server
which would give you all the PyPI packages

Even with your own devpi-server you would need a build pipeline,
especially for C wrapper modules. With the latter you also have to
provide builds for different OS versions. That's not easy too.

YMMV. All my customers are different and what's the best way of shipping
software can be the cause for religious discussions.

Ciao, Michael.

< Previous Next >