Re: [opensuse-factory] Plan for python2-only packages
  • From: Todd Rme <toddrme2178@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 21 May 2018 12:09:11 -0400
On Mon, May 21, 2018 at 10:45 AM, Tomas Chvatal <tchvatal@xxxxxxx> wrote:
Todd Rme píše v Po 21. 05. 2018 v 10:31 -0400:
There are still a large number of packages in openSUSE:Factory that
are python2-only. Some have not been touched upstream in years. We
probably should start thinking about what to do with them.

I think we should break python2-only packages into four categories:

* Those that have python3 support that just hasn't been integrated
should be updated.

* Those that upstream has indicated has python3 support in the
near-term roadmap should be kept as-is for now (or updated to the
latest version).

* Those that are python2-only and have not seen upstream activity
since 2016 should be dropped from openSUSE:Factory and dropped from
devel:languages:python after a two-week warning period.

* All others, including backports packages, should be moved to a new
subproject, devel:languages:python:legacy since they won't need many
updates or rebuilds. This project should be built but not published.

I agree with pruning them from TW we will slowly reach that goal as
Matej is doing review all those pending in signlespec-staging project.
They will either be sloted for removal or updated properly.

Now for those pruned from Factory I wonder what would be best course of
action. Pf course having legacy project is nice, but maybe it will be
quite large amount of work for almost no gain as the python2 should be
really quickly phased out in favor of python3.

What about packages that are maintained but remain python2-only?

And would it really be a large amount of work if we make it clear that
no further work on legacy packages will be done by dlp maintainers?