Re: Please fix this before the release... (was: Re: [opensuse-factory] Leap 15.0 development finished)
  • From: Richard Brown <RBrownCCB@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 19 May 2018 14:31:13 +0200
On 19 May 2018 at 13:15, AW <alexander.willand@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Am Freitag, 18. Mai 2018, 21:06:56 CEST schrieb Richard Brown:
On 18 May 2018 at 16:56, Manfred Hollstein <mhollstein@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Moin,

On Fri, 18 May 2018, 16:23:02 +0200, Ludwig Nussel wrote:
Hi,

openSUSE Leap 15.0 development is done, final build done, no submissions
will be accepted anymore. ...

Congratulations! Would it be possible to get the problems with building
packages in Packman for Leap 15.0 being addressed? There is a thread
starting at

<https://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-factory/2018-05/msg00149.html>

Currently, no package can be built in Packman because all are
"unresolvable". Andreas Schwab suggested that this should be fixed in
15.0 by the _project maintainer_, but so far this hasn't happened. I'm
pretty sure having all (still required) packages from Packman will be
appreciated by all users ;)

I believe Andreas' suggestion was that the _Packman_ Project
maintainer corrects the problem in the _Packman_ project

The openSUSE Leap 15.0 Ports Project is building just fine -
https://build.opensuse.org/project/show/openSUSE:Leap:15.0:Ports

This is an openSUSE Project mailinglist, and as such is most certainly
not the appropriate place for _Packman_ questions related to the setup
of the Packman projects OBS instance.

I recommend you get in touch with that separate project via their
appropriate communication channels.

Hi!

To many users like me Packman is an important part of openSuse, so calling it
»that separate project« is from my point of view a bit too technical.

And I wonder what all the journalists will make of a release without a working
Packman repo. Here in Germany heise.de examined openSuse critically since some
years.

If e.g. VLC no longer could play a movie from a DVD, the verdict of users as
well as of the media will be that Leap 15 has an issue.

So yes, this is an openSUSE Project mailinglist and this is an appropriate
place for a warning.

Regards,

Alexander

If/when the day comes that the patent encumbered software in Packman
is no longer be legally problematic, then openSUSE will happily have
that software as part of the project, and there would be no issue
discussing it on our formal mailinglists

Until that day, if you wish the openSUSE project to continue to
operate legally here in Germany, the EU, the US and probably
elsewhere, then it's essential that topics solely related to Packman
are kept as far away from official openSUSE channels as possible.

They have their own mailinglist, if people want to discuss Packman's
software, they should use them to discuss them there.

Regards,

Richard Brown
openSUSE Board