[opensuse-factory] Re: Improving compatibility with third party packages via more relaxed 'provides'
  • From: Robert Munteanu <robert.munteanu@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 17 May 2018 14:28:09 +0200
On Thu, May 17, 2018 at 2:17 PM, Andreas Schwab <schwab@xxxxxxx> wrote:
As an openSUSE user I find that third party applications that provide
RPM packages work most of the time, and sometimes need little
depedendency tweaks. For instance ( presumably due to the way Fedora
packages are built ) the Slack RPM package requires libappindicator,
but the openSUSE package only providers libappindicator1.

Why does the package require libappindicator? The automatic dependency
generator of rpm would generate a dependency on
libappindicator.so.1()(64bit), which is provided by the library packages
no matter how they are called.

That is a question for the packager. Sadly, I was unable to get a more
technical answer.

Robert

--
http://robert.muntea.nu/