[opensuse-factory] Improving compatibility with third party packages via more relaxed 'provides'
  • From: Robert Munteanu <robert.munteanu@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 17 May 2018 13:30:14 +0200
Hi,

As an openSUSE user I find that third party applications that provide
RPM packages work most of the time, and sometimes need little
depedendency tweaks. For instance ( presumably due to the way Fedora
packages are built ) the Slack RPM package requires libappindicator,
but the openSUSE package only providers libappindicator1.

As a user, I can either not install Slack or install it while breaking
the dependency requirements. One approach is bad, another is really
bad :-) I've talked to the RPM provider, and their advice was to break
dependency requirement. Af is is on their list, but not in the near
future.

I was thinking whether openSUSE can do something to support this kind
of scenario.

One possibility would be for the 'main' packages to add more provides,
even though they are technically too lax to be of use within the
distro, e.g. libappindicator1 would also provide libappindicator.

Another one would be to have a 'compat' package, e.g.
libappindicator1-compat which provides libappindicator and requires
the libappindicator1 package. This way the original lib package
remains untouched by requirements of third party packages.

I'd be happy to do either of those and submit to Factory, but I
thought I'd post the idea here first for feedback.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Robert

--