Re: [opensuse-factory] Leap 15 187.1 - /etc/SuSE-release not present (os-release is present)
On vendredi, 13 avril 2018 21.40:03 h CEST David C. Rankin wrote:
All,

This is an oddity that has broken some configuration scripts of mine. For
the first time since 7.0 (Air), there is no /etc/SuSE-release. I don't know
if this is intentional or not. There is an /etc/os-release present. A
simple softlink will correct the problem.

While probably not common, the lack of /etc/SuSE-release has causes
problem in my .bashrc where there are conditionals for configuration
depending on the os installed., e.g.

if test -e "/etc/SuSE-release"
then
else if test -e "/etc/arch-release"
then

I don't know the reason it's not included, maybe it's due to the Beta
status, but it may be something to consider restoring so that others aren't
caught by surprise. I can just symlink it, or parse the output of
os-release, but providing the link would continue two-decades of
consistency.

Perhaps it is time to have a look at the nice tool lsb_release and what it can
achieve for you.

lsb_release -a
LSB Version: n/a
Distributor ID: openSUSE