Re: [opensuse-factory] Dropping VPNC [was: Tumbleweed - Review of the week 2018/13]
On Tue, Apr 3, 2018 at 10:58 AM, Frederic Crozat <fcrozat@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
Le mardi 03 avril 2018 à 10:48 +0300, Andrei Borzenkov a écrit :
On Tue, Apr 3, 2018 at 10:38 AM, Frank Krüger <fkrueger@xxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
Am 03.04.2018 um 09:20 schrieb Frederic Crozat:
Le samedi 31 mars 2018 à 13:20 +0200, Dominique Leuenberger /
DimStar a
écrit :

* vpnc and networkmanager-vpnc will be removed from the
distro:
openvpn supports those use cases now.

I think there was a typo in the mail.

openCONNECT is replacing vpnc, not openVPN.

And AFAIK, openconnect (http://www.infradead.org/openconnect/ )
does
everything vpnc does, even better.

For everybody who commented in the thread, please test with
openconnect
/ NM-openconnect

Thank you for the clarification. I removed vpnc and switched to
openconnect. Using the VPN protocol Cisco AnyConnect it works
pretty
well. However, it is not clear to me how to deal with VPN
connections
that explicitly require IPSecID and IPSecsecret.

Can you connect to those servers with Cisco AnyConnect? If yes, you
should be able to migrate to openconnet using similar settings. If
not, it is enough reason to not drop vpnc until actual replacement is
found. Did you try libreswan I mentioned earlier?

And no, openconnect is not replacement for vpnc. It implements
different protocol requiring different server setup.

Well, looking at vpnc status ( http://lists.unix-ag.uni-kl.de/pipermail
/vpnc-devel/2017-November/thread.html ), I'm not sure people should
rely on vpnc at all (there is now a github projet, but still no
maintainer)..

Well, the fact is that Cisco VPN products may offer both SSL and IPSec
VPN and can chose to enable either and openconnect implements only the
former so dropping vpnc may leave some users without working solution.
It means some replacement for IPSec VPN is needed.