Re: [opensuse-factory] systemd not being stopped when you log out
  • From: Ianseeks <bingmybong@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2018 20:15:21 +0000
On Wednesday, 21 March 2018 19:35:53 GMT John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:

On Mar 22, 2018, at 4:22 AM, Ianseeks <bingmybong@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
snip
This is something that GNOME does, not systemd. GNOME is generally notorious
for keeping user processes running after logout since they still assume Linux
desktops to be single user.

I remember talking to a GNOME upstream developer at LinuxTag 2005(!), asking
them why there are still gconfd processes running after logout as this poses
a serious problem in a multiuser environment like our university back then
where that resulted in hundreds of gconfd processes after just a few days.

The GNOME guy was very surprised to hear that such environments exist and
didn’t really have an answer to my original question.

It goes along with the crippling of GDM and removing the language setting
feature or being able to store session preferences per user independent of
the login machine used (looking at you accountsservicesd).

Antway, your best bet is to use the systemd feature above. However, keep in
mind that GNOME might also start systemd-user services which can be kept
alive with the lingering option.

PS: I can highly recommend KDE these days ;).

Thanks. I am using KDE :)

Adrian

--
opensuse:tumbleweed:20180318
Qt: 5.10.0 KDE Frameworks: 5.43.0 - KDE Plasma: 5.12.3 - kwin 5.12.3