Re: [opensuse-factory] Phoronix has done some network tests windows vs a few distros (incl TW)
  • From: Michal Kubecek <mkubecek@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2018 11:19:36 +0100
On Friday, 16 March 2018 9:33 tomtomme wrote:
Am 15.03.2018 um 22:52 schrieb Jan Engelhardt:
On Thursday 2018-03-15 22:00, Cristian Rodríguez wrote:
El 15-03-2018 a las 13:52, Ianseeks escribió:
http://tinyurl.com/ydefbwq8

This benchmarks are not particulary useful to developers or to take
any remediation steps if needed. they appear to be provided purely
for entertaiment.

That is exactly the scope of Phoronix.

Care to explain how those network-benchmarks could be improved?
The discussed benchmark you are slandering is only a preview, the full
comparison is in the works. It was requested and payd for by a user,
so it must be useful to him.

As a Tumbleweed user I enjoy those benchmarks, so entertaining it is,
yes. But at the same time they deliver also vaild data points,
sometimes on a small scale (hardware wise), and sometimes with nice
big comparisons when it comes to gaming / gpus.

Phoronix reviews and benchmark are famous... I remember Mr. Larabel's
"review" of an openSUSE conference in 2012(?) focusing mostly on the
fact that there were problems with food supply on the welcome party. :-)

Benchmarking is hard. If you want to do it right, that is. It means
thinking about how to do the setup to minimize random influence of other
factors. Careful thinking about what you really want to measure and how
to do it for the results to be relevant. Analyzing the results to make
sure they make sense. And, of course, trying to explain the results, in
particular those which stand out.

This test? Exactly the opposite. He goes to long details to explain what
disks do server and client have but not a word about NICs; "Gigabit
Ethernet" is not nearly enough - and that hidden "Realtek PCIe GBE
Family + Microsoft ISATAP" (???) isn't much better. One might think that
for a "networking performance test" the NIC would be more important than
the disk. No information about how were client and server connected.
And, of course, not a word about netfilter configuration (which can
affect the latency quite a log) and other networking settings; instead,
we get detailed list of gcc flags used for build.

It's proudly called "Network Benchmarks" or even "networking performance
benchmarks" and yet, all the author did was running netperf TCP_RR and
UDP_RR test (i.e. one very specific aspect of networking performance)
with some parameters he didn't bother to tell us. From the results, it's
apparent he didn't notice some tests show variance so high that the
results should have been discarded and tests repeated. Not to mention
that netperf has "-I" and "-i" parameters to make things even easier.
Instead, he runs the same test with two different lengths. and presents
the results separately. Why? The results should be the same within a
margin of statistic error; if they are not, it should be a warning sign
that something was wrong. Or should we perhaps believe the PC gets tired
if you run the test for whole 6 minutes?

One thing that really stands out is the UDP_RR test on Tumbleweed, in
particular the 360s one. The variance itself should tell author the test
went completely bonkers. Even if he didn't realize, he might have
noticed even upper end of the indicated interval is still way below the
results of the 60s test. Neither stopped him from publishing such
completely unreliable results.

Out of curiosity, I quickly ran netperf UDP_RR between my two machines,
one running 42.3 with 4.15.8 Kernel:stable kernel (i.e. essentially
Tumbleweed), the other Tumbleweed with 4.16-rc4 kernel from Kernel:HEAD.
The hardware is definitely worse than Mr. Larabel's and NICs aren't
anything special either (on-board Realtek 8168evl and common consumer
grade Intel (82541GI)). Both machines are running a KDE desktop (I only
wanted to get some idea about the results) so I used "-I 99 -i 20,5" to
make sure the results are not completely random. The result I got was...
wait for it... 10359.48. Even with 1400 bytes of request/response size,
I still get 3257.53. As the highest result in the Phoronix article is
918.92, I feel Mr. Larabel owes us some information about what he was
actually testing and how. (Honestly, over a millisecond per roundtrip on
gigabit ethernet? That should give anyone a hint they are doing
something wrong.)

I just hope the next article isn't going to present TCP_STREAM results
(measured on gigabit ethernet). That would be even more ridiculous.

Michal Kubeček