Re: [opensuse-factory] Rust
On Tue, 2018-01-23 at 13:12 +0100, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:
On 01/23/2018 11:26 AM, Alberto Planas Dominguez wrote:

We are diverging for the main topic. Your assert is that Rust is
willing to break code that target stable-Rust in almost each
release,
and I think that this is a missunderstanding about the expectations
that are fair to use agains the compiler. That is all.

No, we are not.

Two main points are still valid:

1) Rust is not as stable as it should be for core packages.

But this is an affirmation that needs some data. As explained before
Rust stable will guarantee that the same package that compiles for one
version will compile for the next. I am still waiting for an example
where this is not true, and I am not able to see the build failure in
librsvg in OBS.

2) Rust doesn't consider architectures which SUSE considers
supported as supported. This is definitely a problem.

I can see a problem in S390X, is a tier 2 but I am sure that there a
bugs there. But is different for ARM: there is some effort in moving it
to tier 1.

https://wiki.debian.org/ftpmaster_Removals#Reverse_Dependencies
Sorry if I make this impression. I didn't choose the right words.
What
I try to say is that tier 2 is not exacly "doesn't care about
anything besides x86/x86_64". Is simply reflecting that some
automatic tests are not running for each commit to the compiler,
but is expected to work. And in the case of Android and ARM is
clearly working.

And you are missing the point. Working now doesn't mean it's not
going
to break for the next version.

I am not. My point is that the affirmation "doesn't care about anything
besides x86/x86_64" is not true. There are test running for t2
architectures, but not all the time the automatic test are executed.
This indicate lack or resources and documentation, but also an effort
to change the situation.

But, we can agree that the expectations for a compiler in t2 is not
like in t1.

Again, a compiler which is not verified to pass it's testsuite should
not be used for production code in my experience. I have seen too
many
things break on the buildds in Debian when the testsuites for gcc
were
disabled.

We agree on this.

Not having Rust upstream build the compiler natively and run the
testsuite
on architectures that SUSE considers to be supported is a problem in
my experience.

In this too.

HRB 21284 (AG Nürnberg)
Maxfeldstraße 5, 90409 Nürnberg, Germany