Re: [opensuse-factory] btrfs /var changes
  • From: Richard Brown <RBrownCCB@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2018 20:58:23 +0100
On 21 January 2018 at 20:02, Andrei Borzenkov <arvidjaar@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

You cannot forbid users to chose arbitrary filesystem layout during
installation. If this is so dangerous, snapper should refuse to perform
rollback (or even create snapshots actually). If snapper allows it, how
can you blame users?

Users cannot customise a separate /var filesystem in our basic tools
provided. Neither the standard workflow nor the easy "Guided Setup"
workflow allows it.

We allow users to do lots of stupid stuff in the Expert partitioner,
that's why it's the _Expert_ partitioner, and provides that question
where the user must state that they know what they are doing

If a user chooses a separate /var filesystem on a version of openSUSE
that stores it's rpm database in /var (ie. Leap 42.3 and earlier),
then either
- a) the user is doing something stupid and they shouldn't have said
they know what they are doing when opening the Expert partioner
- b) the user knows what they are doing and have a custom solution to
snapshot & restore /var in parallel to /

Either way, it's not snapper's fault that the user has chosen to go
above and beyond the default configuration we've provided.

When we warn users with stuff like the Expert Partitioner warning,
users should absolutely take responsibility for the decisions they
make in such tooling.