Re: [opensuse-factory] btrfs /var changes

I would also like to add that snapshot 0117 introduced the new btrfs
default subvolume layout

Any fresh installation of Tumbleweed using the default btrfs root
filesystem will no longer have multiple subvolumes under /var (eg
/var/lib/mysql, /var/cache, etc) and instead have a single unified
/var subvolume.

This simplifies snapshots and rollbacks, will prevent accidental
dataloss on rollback for any user data held in /var, and improve
performance of any database or VM images that are held in /var as all
of /var also now has Copy-on-Write disabled by default.
It's also particularly useful for openSUSE Kubic which was struggling
with the consequences of much of /var being read-only as it was
considered part of Kubic's read-only root filesystem.

We will not be automatically moving user data from the old structure
to the new one, but I'm open to any suggestions on how to script it if
anyone has any bright ideas.

Richard, is there a documented manual way (wiki, github, ml), for those who
will not do a reinstall, but would like to move to the new layout ?

I'm a bit surprised about removing data checksum on /var (nocow implying this)
If you have a bit spare time to point me to some material explaining the
decision, I would be really interested.

Thanks.

--

Bruno Friedmann