Re: [opensuse-factory] Tumbleweed - Review of the week 2018/03
On 01/20/2018 01:16 PM, Dominique Leuenberger / DimStar wrote:
* librsvg 2.42.0: rewritten in Rust

This is actually a huge change as librsvg is a core library with a large
number of reverse dependencies now partially written in a programming
language with limited architecture support.

Please note that Rust upstream still considers only x86_64/_32 to be
tier 1 targets, all other architectures are merely considered tier 2
or less which means that the Rust compiler is not guaranteed to produce
working code, meaning that one update of the Rust compiler or librsvg
may result in librsvg and potentially the many packages depending on
it to stop working.

Furthermore, this change limits the bootstrappability of openSUSE
to the architectures supported by the Rust compiler. If, for example,
the community would decide to support RISC-V, it would not be possible
as the Rust compiler doesn't support that particular architecture at
the moment although I have heard that there are ongoing efforts.

Finally, one problem with Rust that I ran into when working on the
Rust compiler code itself is the high volatility of the language and the
code. Things that used to build fine with Rust 1.19 would break with
1.20 and so on. From a distribution maintainer's point of view, this
can be very tedious and annoying.

Overall, I think the move to memory-safe languages is generally a good
idea. However, I'm still a bit worried with the move to Rust as I think
the language isn't yet as stable as it should be for writing core libraries
in it.

Adrian