Re: [opensuse-factory] Nvidia drivers - unable to switch ttys (after Gnome 3.26.1 update?)
  • From: Robert Munteanu <robert.munteanu@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2018 22:44:12 +0200
Hi Kirill,

On Fri, Oct 13, 2017 at 3:11 AM, Kirill Kirillov
<kirill.kirillov@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 10/10/2017 02:18 PM, Robert Munteanu wrote:

I have recently lost the ability to switch ttys after a recent
upgrade, I think the one with Gnome 3.26.1 .

I am using the most recent TW packages, with the Nvidia proprietary
drivers from the tumbleweed repo -
nvidia-gfxG04-kmp-default-384.90_k4.13.4_1-26.2.x86_64 .

The sympton is gdm comes up fine, I can enter my login data but then
the screen blanks after logging in. Switching to another tty using
Ctrl-Alt-F1 or similar does not work. I suspect that the same problem
appears when logging in since (to my knowledge) gdm remains active on
tty2 and creates the desktop session on ttty7.

Workaround:

- boot in multi-user mode, manually issue systemctl start display-manager
- immediately restart gdm ( Ctrl-Alt-Backspace ) after reboot, second
instance seems to work fine

Has anyone seen this? If this is a bug to file, where should it go?

I have got the same issue after updating to Gnome 3.26.0. The workaround of
my choice was removing "splash=silent" from kernel parameters.

Thanks for the confirmation, that works for me as well - I guess the
tty switch is implicit when removing splash=silent.

FWIW, I have posted on the NVidia forums, hopefully someone more
knowledgeable can help.

https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/topic/1028684/linux/gdm-locks-up-with-100-cpu-usage-when-logging-in/

Robert