Re: [opensuse-factory] Leap 15.0 and the ucode-xxx patches
On 12/01/18 17:38, Michal Kubecek wrote:
On Friday, 12 January 2018 6:54 Basil Chupin wrote:
I note that the latest Leap 15.0 build, 84.1, contains the ucode
patches for the Spectre and the Meltdown "oopsies"; the one for Intel
has a build date of 23 November and the one for the AMD has build date
of 4 December.

Are these patches sufficient to protect Leap 15.0 testers/users
considering how early those patches were built?
Date shouldn't be a problem, both Intel and AMD knew about the problem
for some time and prepared the microcode updates in advance. On the
other hand, openSUSE-15.0 kernel doesn't have necessary patches yet
(openSUSE 15.0 is still beta so that it has to wait until the work on
released products/versions is finished).

If you are using 15.0 on a "real" system, I guess the least painful way
around is to switch to Kernel:stable repository for some time, e.g. by

zypper ar -p 95
http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/Kernel:/stable/standard/
kernel-stable

This way you get essentially a Tumbleweed kernel.

Michal Kube´┐Żek

Thank you, Michal, for the above.

I'll be installing 84.1 'snapshot' on a laptop which has an Intel cpu
and as I already use the kernels from '..Kernel:/stable.standiard/'
repository in Leap 42.3 and Tumbleweed I'll also install kernel
4.14.13-3 in Leap 15.0.

BC

--
Always be nice to people on your way up -- you'll see
the same people on your way down.