Re: [opensuse-factory] Request 545194 would cause drop of fortune
  • From: "Dmitriy A. Perlow" <dap.darkness@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 09 Jan 2018 18:36:03 +0300
Tue, 09 Jan 2018 17:54:19 +0300 Tomas Chvatal <tchvatal@xxxxxxx> напісаў(ла):

Dr. Werner Fink píše v Út 28. 11. 2017 v 10:19 +0100:
On Tue, Nov 28, 2017 at 03:32:58AM +0000, Dmitriy A. Perlow wrote:
> Tue, 28 Nov 2017 01:09:35 +0300 Simon Lees <sflees@xxxxxxx>
> напісаў(ла):

> > > Could anyone please explain, why the Recode dependency of
> > > Fortune is a
> > > problem?
> > >
> > > Should Recode be dropped and why?
> > >

> > Recode is being dropped simply because it currently has no
> > maintainer,
> > for a package to be in openSUSE someone has to commit to maintain
> > it.
> > Whoever was doing this in the past doesn't want to anymore, so
> > either
> > someone else steps in to maintain it or it gets dropped.
>
> OK. So if I take the maintainership will nothing be dropped? Is any
> real
> problem about recode?

Not that I'm aware ... I've compared with recode package from Debian
at
https://packages.debian.org/sid/recode and found similar patches and
also a few more[1]. Only the Url http://recode.progiciels-bpi.ca
seems to
be dead but on github there is a perfect replacement https://github.c
om/pinard/Recode/

If you like to become a maintainer I can set you as
maintainer/bugowner
of package recode

Francois is dead. So even if you have github you need to fork it and
develop in there.

Anyway, it is 2 months now and neither nobody took over recode nor
fortune got updated to not rely on recode. So what is the plan?

Also based on OBS data there is not even maintainer of the fortune
itself should I again proceed with the drop as people planned only just
to complain?

Cheers

Tom

Could you please point on bugs that have to be fixed? AFAI see both recode and fortune packages seem to be fine just now.

--
Best regards,
Dmitriy Perlow