Re: [opensuse-factory] Sound delayed when playing via HDMI
Hi Freek!

On 12/23/2017 11:19 AM, Freek de Kruijf wrote:
When I play a video i.e. in Firefox or VLC or when I use Musescore, the sound
is not in sync with the picture. It is delayed about 1 second.

This is normal. When using digital video connections like DVI or HDMI, you
always end up with video and audio getting out of sync due to the difference
in time it takes to process the audio and video data.

However, normally the software will take care of the problem but it requires
both video and audio to be passed digitally to the display device, e.g.
HDMI video including audio. If you just pass the video signal digitally
but the audio signal stays analogue, then there is no way for the software
to make sure the signals are in sync.

When I go back to VGA and the analog sound device, sound is in sync.

How is your audio signal connected to your speakers? Do you just use
an analogue cable to your stereo, do you use headphones or do you
use HDMI audio?

Without knowing the details of your setup, it's not possible to determine
the cause of the problem. If your connection is all digital, then you
might have run into a bug.

I searched for it on Google, but did not find a solution.

For VLC, you can always use the keys "j" and "k" to adjust the audio delay
until both video and audio are in sync again.

Adrian