Re: [opensuse-factory] SysV service error during dup on TW

On Dec 22, 2017, at 5:44 PM, Ken Schneider - Factory
<suse-list3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 12/22/2017 04:00 AM, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:
On 12/22/2017 09:33 AM, Johannes Meixner wrote:
I think messages that are meant to be ignored by the user
(i.e. messages that are meant only as optional information)
should not be shown to the user by default.

Normally such messages may appear only in a log file
or are shown to the user only in debug or verbose mode.

I don't know how excatly Ken Schneider ran 'zypper dup'
i.e. with or without '--verbose' or '--details'.
Those messages usually show up as warning because it might not always
be known from the programmer's point of view whether the reported issues
might be a problem or not.
Warning basically says "I think this particular issue could cause an
issue on your system but that's not 100% sure so I'll just inform you
but let you continue anyway".
Cf.
"WARNING is a waste of my time"
at
http://blog.schlomo.schapiro.org/2015/04/warning-is-waste-of-my-time.html
Same here. Take gcc, for example. The compiler will warn you in many cases
when you forget to initialize variables or perform a cast with incompatible
data types which could result in your code crashing. However, since neither
are a violation of the C language specification, the compiler will just let
you continue. Sometimes the lack of initialization or the casts are intended
by the programmer.
And in this case, Ken was also misreading the message. It clearly said there
is no SysV script on the system, yet he assumed that was the case.

I made no such assumption. I wondered why 'any' SysV code would need to be
run on a system without SysV installed.

I said „SysV script“, not „SysV“. And it didn’t run anything, it said
„skipping“. You just misread the message.

Adrian

Plus, the
warning is actually a hint to the programmer that this particular piece of
SysV code should be removed.

Better would be (if possible) for the packager to not have any SysV scripts
be run at all if SysV is not installed.

--
Ken Schneider