Re: [opensuse-factory] SysV service error during dup on TW
On 12/22/2017 01:26 PM, Johannes Meixner wrote:
Those messages usually show up as warning because it might not always
be known from the programmer's point of view whether the reported issues
might be a problem or not.

Of course, but see
https://github.com/rear/rear/issues/564#issuecomment-86418677

Warning basically says "I think this particular issue could cause an
issue on your system but that's not 100% sure so I'll just inform you
but let you continue anyway".

Of course, but see
https://github.com/rear/rear/issues/564#issuecomment-86458179

This isn't about shifting responsibility, this is simply a result of the fact
that most software simply cannot cover all potential configurations and use
cases that exist out there.

I don't understand why some people have to question fundamental design
principles of software just because one piece of software doesn't cover
their particular use case.

"I personally found warning messages to be pointless for my use cases,
so they must be useless for everyone and every piece of software on
the planet."

No one is hurt by a warning, but in some cases it gives you a hint what
to look for if you run into weird issues. You always have to keep in mind
that there are millions of different use cases and configurations out there,
including those people who use different init systems like OpenRC, different
kernels like BSD and what not. There are simply way too many moving parts and
variables to be able to write software which works 100% correct all the
time.

Adrian