Re: [opensuse-factory] tumbleweed

Thanks for the infos,

so if i understood correct,
there "should" be no problem to update
a "tumbleweed" which is a couple of weeks old
to the actual "tumbleweed"

only if it is years old, maybe as old as
the last "out of maintenance" "normal" opensuse release
there could be (minor) problems.

simoN

Am 22.12.2017 um 08:37 schrieb Oliver Kurz:
On Thursday, 21 December 2017 23:18:39 CET Simon Lees wrote:
On 22/12/17 05:03, Simon Becherer wrote:
General tumbleweed question:

is there something like a limit how much "versions" i am able to NOT
install?

with other words:

- if i read the "snapshoot release" and i figure out i will have a problem

with this (and maybe some next) release(s), or if i have no time to install
immediately.> how many snapshoots could i skip without running into a
problem?

thanks for info,

simoN

I don't think we have specified a limit, but given we still support
upgrading from older versions of leap you should be thinking in terms of
years rather then days or weeks we are normally pretty slow at
removing code needed to migrate from packaging.

That is correct. Basically you should think about the risk of upgrade
problems introduced that can not be easily fixed and tests. There is one
openQA test that is testing just the upgrade from the previous TW
snapshot to the current one plus upgrade tests from many older versions, e.g.
https://openqa.opensuse.org/tests/latest?test=update_13.1-gnome&arch=x86_64&machine=64bit&version=Tumbleweed&flavor=DVD&distri=opensuse
for an upgrade test from openSUSE 13.1 to current Tumbleweed. Just recently
the upgrade tests from openSUSE 12.X were removed because they were too hard
to maintain from the test perspective but it should still work with just
minor conflicts that need to be resolved by hand.

- --
B e c h e r e r GmbH
Sondermaschinenbau
Mauermatten Strasse 22
79183 Waldkirch
Germany

Tel.: (+49) (0)7681 3134
Fax: (+49) (0)7681 4378
Mail: info@xxxxxxxxxxx
Web: www.becherer.de

USt-ID-Nr.: DE 814912198
Registergericht: Freiburg HRB 701860
Geschäftsführer:
Dipl.-Ing. (FH), EWE Simon H. Becherer
Gerichtsstand / Sitz: Waldkirch

Es gelten ausschließlich unsere allgemeinen Liefer-
und Zahlungsbedingungen / Einkaufsbedingungen:
www.becherer.de/AGB