Re: [opensuse-factory] RFC Generic Packaging for Languages that have vendor/ Trees
  • From: Aleksa Sarai <asarai@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2017 09:36:54 +1100
On 2017-12-20, Aleksa Sarai <asarai@xxxxxxx> wrote:
Secondly, in order to make this vendor archive reproducible, I propose
we have an OBS service that can be used to vendor a source tree (which
can obviously be run either locally or on OBS). It will produce all of
the vendor archives created by language-specific tools, and produce a
language-agnostic manifest of what was downloaded (the name, language,
version, git commit, and so on). The idea is that this manifest could be
used by the RPM macros above rather than writing language-specific
macros.

I forgot to mention that one benefit of having it as an OBS service is
that we could run source validator on it (in principle at least,
assuming that the language actually creates reproducible vendor trees).

Making things easier for legal would be that we could provide in the
metadata for the vendor tree the subdirectories in the tree that
correspond to each package, and then we could add support for this
vendor concept that way (at the moment I believe that the legal tooling
doesn't have a way to handle vendor archives).

--
Aleksa Sarai
Senior Software Engineer (Containers)