Re: [opensuse-factory] Packages for FSFE's REUSE Initiative
  • From: Aleksa Sarai <asarai@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2017 08:54:44 +1100
On 2017-12-19, Bernhard Voelker <mail@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
When using it upstream: is this initiative of the FSF coordinated e.g.
with the GNU standards? I didn't see any discussion about
"SPDX-License-Identifier"s on the GNU mailing lists.

It's an initiative of the FSFE, the European sister organisation :)
There has been no coordination with the FSF/GNU yet. I'm also not
subscribed to the GNU mailing lists. Is this a good place to bring up
the initiative? I do not want to seem the part of a spammy intruder, in
truth!

Well, you can try there, but this will probably start a bike-shedding
discussion. Maybe it's better to send an email to RMS and the folks at
the FSF in Boston first ... licensing is tricky and usually beyond of
what the average hacker is able to care about.

Note that FSFE has done their fair share of licensing and legal work[1],
so they're not just a bunch of "average hacker(s)" in this field. They
also do far more work in policy than the FSF proper these days.
SPDX-License-Identifier has also been worked on by the LF legal teams as
well, as part of the Linux kernel work to add these headers to all
files.

[1]: https://fsfe.org/activities/ftf/activities.en.html

--
Aleksa Sarai