[opensuse-factory] Tumbleweed - Review of the week 2017/49
Dear Tumbleweed users and hackers,

The last month of the year is upon us (at least if we focus solely on
the general use of the Gregorian calendar). And the first week was a
strong one for Tumbleweed with 5 snapshots released to the public
(1201, 1202, 1203, 1204 and 1205).

The interesting changes in those snapshots were:

* MariaDB 10.2.10
* Poppler 0.61.1
* Flatpak 0.10.1 and flapak-builder 0.10.5
* Mesa 17.2.6
* Libvirt 3.10.0
* Linux Kernel 4.14.3
* A lot more python2->python3 conversions
* suse_version has been changed to 1550 (On Dec 1st, 2017)

For the ones that don’t know yet, the python2 -> python3 switches are
especially of interest to SLE/Leap 15. Minimizing the support surface
for python2 in favor of python3 will lead to a much stronger,
supportable product for the future. As Tumbleweed is the leading and
trendsetting product, it is but natural that we get those changes as
well.

The year might slowly come to an end, but our developers are full of
energy, as all the preparation work implies:

* RPM 4.14 – with some new rich dependencies, and some
(unfortunately?) stricter syntax handling of the spec files. This is
leading to quite some build failures in Staging:A already.
* Qt 5.9.3
* Linux Kernel 4.14.4
8 KDE Applications 17.12.0
* Tomcat 9.0.2
* LibreOffice 6.0
* The YaST Team’s Libstorage-NG implementation

Cheers,
Dominique
< Previous Next >