Re: [opensuse-factory] upgrade packaging not statically built (was: Leap 15 status update 20171110)
  • From: Michal Kubecek <mkubecek@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2017 08:23:44 +0100
On Monday, 13 November 2017 16:04 Richard Brown wrote:
On 13 November 2017 at 15:13, Carlos E. R.
<robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Why it makes sense is pretty simple, bad stuff happens,

Hi

It seems that bad stuff that happened here is triggered somewhere
between chair and display.

Also note that for regulary maintained releases, zypper patch will
update package management stack (zypper, libzypp, rpm) befor
installing other updates. This does not make sense for dist
upgrade where exactly stuff that happened to you would happen -
but hey I guess you know better then developers of distribution.

But "zypper dup" is the reccomended method to upgrade from, say,
Leap 42.3 to 15.0. It is supposed to work out of the box.

There is, of course, another method using the DVD, which I
personally
prefer.

If you expect migrations to work perfectly between a released product
and the earliest development versions of a brand new codebase, then
you are quite frankly stupid.

If you run into problems and do not file bug reports, then you are
quite frankly useless

If you don't file bug reports and instead wax lyrical about how other
distributions from a bygone age managed things on the -factory
mailinglist, then you are both useless and wasting everybodies time.

From technical point of view: 42.3 is the latest released version, 15.0
is the next. What else should the upgrade work from if not from 42.3?
Sure, things may be broken at this stage but two things are more crucial
than anything else: installation from scratch and upgrade from previous
version. So saying "if you expect it to work you are stupid" is not an
appropriate response.

From social point of view, it's even worse. I can't believe my eyes I'm
reading these words from a board chairman who recently kicked few people
out of all lists for what he calls "toxic behaviour" (yeah, I know, "not
your decision", "board unanimously", etc., whatever). I understand that
you feel annoyed by some people and maybe even believe that if you can
get rid of them, everything will be nice and everyone happy (those who
are left, anyway). That's human. But part of being a good leader is
being able to swallow that, suppress one's ego, and accept that some
people keep saying things you don't like. If you can't, please do
something else.

I'm saying this as simply as I can: please apologize. This was way over
the line. Please apologize so that I can believe you are not completely
lost.

Michal Kubeček