Re: [opensuse-factory] IBus icon after update to TW 20171023
  • From: ianseeks <bingmybong@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2017 11:55:50 +0100
On Friday, 27 October 2017 11:13:44 BST Jan Engelhardt wrote:
On Friday 2017-10-27 09:59, ianseeks wrote:

On Friday, 27 October 2017 07:56:01 BST Axel Braun wrote:
And if it is a feature, what's it for?
Its there to takeover your keyboard settings, i removed it and taboo'd it.

Its far from obvious.
Indeed, badly named for being helpful. "ibus" = keyboard????? I thought it
was some upgrade/replacement for D-BUS initially

Well that the (bare) name of FLOSS projects (some are acronyms or
contractions, mind you, and ibus is one of those!) seldomly has anything
to do with its use is not really news to you, or is it?
No, its not news to me. Its usually the first time you see it, you have an
initial reaction. Acronyms are fine once you know they are.
"python" has nothing to do with snakes,
"squid" has nothing to do with fish,
"gnome" has nothing to do with little people,
All these are sort of "behind the scenes" stuff so can be a bit obscure.

"bash" has nothing to do with hitting stuff.
But on the last one I am not so sure ;-)
:)

I think GUI programs should really be meaningful and sort of obvious - whats
with the name of the new mail program "kube" - a newby coming to the desktop
will be looking for something relating to "mail". Once you are in the know, its
fine. Being "on trend" or "humorous" with your names can bite you later.. E.g.
Leap 42 springs to mind with all those reams of text to "justify" the name -
what a waste of everyones time that was and that waste was duplicated when
renaming again recently.

--
opensuse:tumbleweed:20171025
Qt: 5.9.2