Re: [opensuse-factory] Package naming conventions
  • From: Roger Oberholtzer <roger.oberholtzer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2017 11:55:29 +0200
On Fri, Oct 27, 2017 at 11:26 AM, Dominique Leuenberger / DimStar
<dimstar@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

PS: this does not sound like a -factory topic; it is definitively not
related to the development of Leap or Tumbleweed - nevertheless an
interesting question

I wasn't sure where to post this. So I tried here.

I am going to follow up on the ABI version number stuff in proj. I do
know that is how this works. I am a software developer. I am checking
with the proj people to see how they are tracking the ABI
compatibility. For as long as I have used proj, I do not recall seeing
this number reported. Since I link against -lproj, my Makefiles just
reference the current development RPM that is installed.

I didn't mention that there is also a libproj0 on OBS. I don't think
that is ABI version 0. Maybe it is before proj defined ABI version
numbers...

Perhaps one should use a label like ABIversion in the spec file. Then
it is more obvious that this is where the number is from. There is no
guarantee that everyone setting this number is doing so for the same
reason.

--
Roger Oberholtzer