Re: [opensuse-factory] TW : needing libcrypto.so.10

Am 23.10.2017 um 23:28 schrieb Jan Engelhardt:
On Monday 2017-10-23 22:23, Mathias Homann wrote:
The application (I assume you mean ChartGeany:
http://chartgeany.com) is neither open source, nor does it
provide packages for openSUSE. Trying the Fedora package would
have been my first attempt as well.
that being said: if I had to try to make some foreign package work
I'd opt for a debian package. Preferrably the one for the debian
version that is kind of half way between the oldest supported one,
and the newest. Then I'd convert that package to rpm, using alien,
and then let zypper sort out dependencies.
That is basically no better.

well, it's at least better than just creating links / copies of
libraries under different names, and hoping. This way at lets lets you
uninstall the software cleanly through rpm.

cheers
MH

Debian, like Fedora, invented its own
SONAMEs. (And who could blame them, openSSL just does not declare
any!) It just happens that their chosen name matches openSUSE's, but
that is not always have to be the case—cf. gsoap/libgsoap10 where
numbers were made up on the spot. The ABI issue would still remain.
ouch. I actually didn't know that there can be libs that do not properly
define their own names.
kill them with fire.