Re: [opensuse-factory] TW : needing libcrypto.so.10

On Monday 2017-10-23 22:23, Mathias Homann wrote:

The application (I assume you mean ChartGeany:
http://chartgeany.com) is neither open source, nor does it
provide packages for openSUSE. Trying the Fedora package would
have been my first attempt as well.

that being said: if I had to try to make some foreign package work
I'd opt for a debian package. Preferrably the one for the debian
version that is kind of half way between the oldest supported one,
and the newest. Then I'd convert that package to rpm, using alien,
and then let zypper sort out dependencies.

That is basically no better. Debian, like Fedora, invented its own
SONAMEs. (And who could blame them, openSSL just does not declare
any!) It just happens that their chosen name matches openSUSE's, but
that is not always have to be the case—cf. gsoap/libgsoap10 where
numbers were made up on the spot. The ABI issue would still remain.