Re: [opensuse-factory] Re: Access Hotspot notification? wasTumbleweed - Review of the week 2017/41
Il 16/10/2017 18:13, Dominique Leuenberger / DimStar ha scritto:
On Mon, 2017-10-16 at 16:33 +0000, Marco Calistri wrote:
Il 16/10/2017 14:08, Dominique Leuenberger / DimStar ha scritto:
On Mon, 2017-10-16 at 15:47 +0000, Marco Calistri wrote:

Beside the issue itself I really don't know why NM needs to check
the
connectivity and furthermore why in case of failure it opens a
big
notification window on the user desktop.

It's portal detection - the idea is to detect if you are behind a
captive portal where you need to login to make use of the network
connection (like is the case at every airport)

Totally a new feature which I see for the first time in openSUSE, for
this reason I've been surprised.

Newly introduced (in our packaging by configratuin) back in Week 12/13

http://dominique.leuenberger.net/blog/2016/04/opensuse-tumbleweed-revie
w-of-the-week-201612-13/

Yep!
But of course, easily missed, as it 'just worked' (for you with a
working connection as well for the users that ended up being behind a
captive portal, where they nicely got a portal login screen upon
connecting).

And how NM was working *before* the introduction of the "network-checker
", I mean before 2016/04?
May be it is just a personal feeling but I'm still not seeing a great
utility in having this feature enabled as default.
Cheers,
Dominique

Thanks for your patience!
Regards,