Aw: [opensuse-factory] openSUSE & Linux hardware vendors (was: Re: Station X & openSUSE)
  • From: "Axel Braun" <Axel.Braun@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2017 09:24:50 +0200

Gesendet: Sonntag, 15. Oktober 2017 um 20:29 Uhr
Von: "Richard Brown" <RBrownCCB@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
An: Kein Empfänger
Cc: oS-fctry <opensuse-factory@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Betreff: [opensuse-factory] openSUSE & Linux hardware vendors (was: Re:
Station X & openSUSE)

<snip>

If anyone has any ideas they want to throw into the ring regarding our
projects collaboration with these and other hardware vendors, please
feel free to use this unexpected thread to do so.

Not an idea, more a remark - in case we as a community can influence HW
development: Linux-Users tend to use the keyboard every now and then (and not
only the mouse), so the keyboard is essential.
From that I have seen so far, the machines are shiny (some look like a Mac),
but the kbd look crappy.
One mayor decision criteria for me, before buying a new laptop, is:

- Fullsize keyboard, ideally with separate cursor-block, with a good key
feedback
- Three (!) separate mouse buttons, not only a flat piece of metal (aka
Touchpad) with integrated mouse buttons
- Ideally a trackpoint.

If in doubt, look at a ThinkPad.

Cheers