[opensuse-factory] openSUSE & Linux hardware vendors (was: Re: Station X & openSUSE)
  • From: Richard Brown <RBrownCCB@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 15 Oct 2017 20:29:46 +0200
On 15 October 2017 at 13:07, Knurpht - Gertjan Lettink
<knurpht@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Op zaterdag 14 oktober 2017 23:20:07 CEST schreef Richard Brown:
What do we all think? My feeling is we should be friendly, get a
better picture of what they want and then point them in the right
direction so they can do it and/or work with the relevant package
maintainers.

Yep from me.

--
Gertjan Lettink, a.k.a. Knurpht

As one of my Board colleagues accidentally sent his reply to this
public list, I guess I'll explain what's going on a little earlier
than planned

Station X (https://stationx.rocks/), a Linux Laptop/Desktop vendor
approached the Board investigating the possibility of doing things
closer with openSUSE in the future.

They're already shipping Leap and Tumbleweed devices, some of their
team run openSUSE distributions themselves, but there are some obvious
areas where the Projects advice and guidance could help smooth a few
rough edges for them and their customers

They're keen to contribute back to the distribution, they seem very
passionate to ensure the pre-loaded distros they are using shine on
their own merits, and don't diverge in ways that might make us
uncomfortable.

So the Board was discussing how best to get them started in the
Project. Gertjan was replying to my opinion of how we should approach
this.

If you see Station X or Board members asking questions around the
project or asking about specific hardware enablement stuff from
package maintainers, now you know why ;)

In addition and in a similar vein, we've been working in a similar way
with Tuxedo Computers already (http://tuxedocomputers.com) and while
they aren't quite shipping Leap on their hardware yet I was showing
off a prototype of the hardware at SUSEcon (
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6iZ5h1LAS0 ) and the laptop is
actually on it's way to Beijing and then Tokyo for openSUSE Asia.. Was
going to be a surprise..so..surprise! ;)

If anyone has any ideas they want to throw into the ring regarding our
projects collaboration with these and other hardware vendors, please
feel free to use this unexpected thread to do so.

- Rich