[opensuse-factory] Re: Enabling PulseAudio on XFCE default
Hi Takashi

Am 11.10.2017 um 17:24 schrieb Takashi Iwai:
Hi,

while we're at XFCE update:
another topic I had in my mind since the last year is to enable
PulseAudio as default for XFCE. I know many people are still using
ALSA directly, but for the new system, deploying PA would be
(supposedly) less pain for a wider range of users.

Looking at the current setup, we have the following:

- In patterns-xfce4, the spec contains:

%package xfce_basis
Requires: xfce4-mixer
Requires: xfce4-notifyd

- In xfce4-branding-openSUSE, the spec contains:

%package -n xfce4-panel-branding-openSUSE
Recommends: xfce4-mixer
Recommends: xfce4-panel-plugin-mixer

Now the questions are:
- Do we still need Requires in patterns-xfce4?

- Just replacing xfce4-mixer with pavucontrol and
xfce4-panel-plugin-mixer with xfce4-panel-plugin-pulseaudio works?

We probably need to adjust panel-branding to include the pulseaudio
plugin by default, but that change is trivial.

This should drag pulseaudio package. alsa-plugins-pulse should be
also included by recommends.

If xfce4-volumed is now recommended somewhere, this should be switched
to xfce4-volumed-pules.

- What to do with users who currently don't install pulseaudio yet?

When pulseaudio package is installed, PA is started at the next
session via desktop autostart. It can be disabled via running
setup-pulseaudio --disable
once, but this can't be done automagically.

I think we cannot do much about existing setups. It is e.g. more or less
impossible (well, at least pretty hard and ugly) to switch from the
mixer plugin to the pulseaudio plugin.

People will just need to switch their config manually.

FWIW, as a long time PulseAudio on XFCE user, I like the idea of
switching the default :-)
--
Stefan Seyfried